Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Abstract Algebra in Indonesia


With my abstract algebra students in Indonesia
Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries; for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. – David Hilbert

The Hilbert quote above embodies one of my favorite things about being a mathematician. My job has taken me around the world including conferences in Portugal, France, and India and collaborated with colleagues from Spain and Egypt.

Last November, I had the opportunity to teach an algebra course at the Universitas Bung Hatta in Padang, Indonesia.


My visit was coordinated through the Volunteer Lecturer Program of the International Mathematical Union. They bring mathematicians to universities in developing countries to teach courses. I learned a lot about math education in Indonesia and I think I made a positive impact on the students' education.

By spending three weeks living in Padang, shopping in the local market, and talking with students and faculty at the university I got a real sense of daily life in West Sumatra and a better understanding of life outside of the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment